Friday, April 23, 2010

Thank You to all my Shiny Penny Facebook Friends



Thought I’d write a little piece today because it’s Friday, on how your support makes a difference. There is so much cynicism in the world today that many people simply believe that they do not count; their support, their opinion, even their vote doesn’t count or make a difference.

Well, changing someone’s mind is never very easy, in fact I’m a firm believer in your mind not changing, but rather simply believing in what you knew all along. The recognition of truth is not something any of us are foreigners to. We all can recognize it so in some sense no one can fool anyone… might I add here for very long.

People do wake up to being fooled and lied to, and like a burr under your blanket, sometimes that’s what’s needed unfortunately to get you off the couch and into supporting good causes that affect your life and the life’s of future generations.

I recently witnessed an exchange between two teenage girls and their checker at a store. I was standing next in line. Well, before that I was in another line and the checker had just got there. She checked this guys donuts up and told him how much it was, he handed her a twenty, and she opened her till to find she didn’t have any change to give him.

She exclaimed kind of loudly, “I don’t have any money! Haah, that’s never happened to me before!” I chuckled and with my quick wit exclaimed, “Happens to me all the time.”, to which everyone standing in line got a good laugh. That’s when the girls behind me moved over to the other line, and I followed suit, accept now they were ahead of me.

The thought went through my mind, “Hey, I was ahead of you guys”, but I kept quiet and thought it doesn’t matter really they have just a few items. They were rung up and paid their money for the few items. This checker did have some money to give them change.

As the checker was handing them their dollars, the girl said, “and I don’t need those pennies”, and walked off with her friend briskly. The checker had shut her drawer already so was somewhat perplexed on what to do, so she set them aside until her drawer opened again. She rang my things up, and I commented to the checker smiling a little, “Those girls must not know that dollars are made up of pennies; each one counts.” To which she responded thoughtfully, “Yes”.

The thought went through my mind of the reasons I pick up every penny, or piece of change off the ground I happened to find. I don’t have a running total, but I imagine somewhere in heaven someone will be able to tell me how many I picked up over my life and it should make for a good laugh. Wouldn’t that be funny if some angel in heaven gives me a total, “yeah, you picked up a cool million down there, nice job”.

Well, it’s not really my need for cash, but it’s the words “In God We Trust”, that really gets me and that I can’t seem to walk over or pass up. Another confession, I recently picked out of a urinal 16 cents. Yeah that’s gross I know, but I just couldn’t go number 1 on that “In God We Trust”. So, I flushed it a couple of times and picked it out went over and washed it and my hands, and felt better about relieving myself with the ‘change’, and the ‘trust’ in my pocket.

We all see a need for some change and sometimes that change is getting back to what we knew or a restoration of what is good; we know that little changes make up big ones, but often we count ourselves out as being an important part of the change because we are only 1 cent, 1 vote, 1 voice,1 person. Did you know nearly 34%+ of you don’t vote, which is easily enough to win an election split 3 ways.
http://democracysouth.org/vcmwp/?p=53

In fact in a recent article in USA Today entitled “Frustrated voters cut ties with Democrats and Republicans, it was reported the fastest growing political group was the “none of the above” or "unaffiliated” party. Unaffiliated voters now outnumber Democrats and Republicans in nine states: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Rhode Island.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=ozarksnow&sParam=38263318.story
Like those girls who said we don’t want those pennies, I can’t imagine not being wanted in the ‘Trust of God’, or in the ‘In God We Trust’ of our money. We all have felt that way some time in our life I’m sure; like change that wasn’t needed, or was thrown on the ground.

That’s why I decided to thank each and every one of you for being my friend on facebook and being part of my change, and our change, in restoring the confidence and trust in our U.S Constitution, each and every one of you really do count.
Wither your supporting with dollars, time, or just association, no matter what state you’re in, you do count as one, who like I, want to see our freedoms and liberties maintained.

I appreciate you and together each of us making up 1 appreciates, like a savings account that earns interest, we grow. Each one of us is a “Shiny Penny” that is not to be discarded.

The new pennies released in 2009 show 4 different times in Lincoln’s life and relate E Pluribus Unum which describes an action: “Many uniting into one”. An accurate translation of the motto is "Out of many, one", on the back of the coin. The front of the coin hasn’t changed. “In God We Trust” and Lincoln’s profile shot. I wrote a number of years ago that when we failed to put our “Trust” in God with our money, our money would fail us.

A little history of just how those words came to be on our money I found interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust
[The Congressional Record in 1956 reads: "At the present time the United States has no national motto. The committee deems it most appropriate that 'In God we trust' be so designated as U.S. national motto."

The motto In God We Trust was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the American Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout Christians throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize God on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Salmon P. Chase by Reverend M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridley Township, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances. One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins. You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW. This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my heart I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:

Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins. You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.

It was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States. This meant that the mint could make no changes without the enactment of additional legislation by Congress. In December 1863, the Director of the Mint submitted designs for a new one-cent coin, two-cent coin, and three-cent coin to Secretary Chase for approval. He proposed that upon the designs either OUR COUNTRY, OUR GOD or GOD, OUR TRUST should appear as the motto on the coins. In a letter to the Mint Director on December 9, 1863, Secretary Chase stated:

I approve your mottoes, only suggesting that on that with the Washington obverse the motto should begin with the word OUR, so as to read OUR GOD AND OUR COUNTRY. And on that with the shield, it should be changed so as to read: IN GOD WE TRUST.]

It’s amazing how much all those pennies can add up to, and never forget that your vote counts, and when you vote you do have the power to change things because you’re not alone.

I'd like to remind Registered Utah Voters, I’m looking to get 1,000 signatures to get on the ballot in Utah. I hope you will help me out and help provide another choice for all the voters in the coming November 2010 election. Thank you again for any and all you do.

http://www.petitiononline.com/codyjudy/petition.html

No comments:

Post a Comment